Green ecommerce, or eco-friendly ecommerce, refers to the practice of selling products online using methods that limit the impact on the environment.
Lately, consumers and business leaders have emphasized the importance of sustainability.
Online stores can offer eco-friendly choices for shoppers while simultaneously reducing their carbon footprints.
Here are two steps that any online store can take to go green.
Green Ecommerce - Go Green With 2 Simple Steps
1. Reduce Your Website's Carbon Footprint
Did you know that the internet produces almost as much pollution as the airline industry?
There are over 1 billion websites and they are all hosted on servers.
Servers are powered by fossil fuels and consume tons of energy. The infographic below from ClimateCare.Org illustrates the issue.
You can help fix the problem by using a green web host.
Green Web Host
A green web host purchases renewable energy credits (such as wind or solar energy) to offset the energy used by your website. This reduces your website’s carbon footprint, making it carbon neutral or even carbon negative.
If you use a green web hosting company, then you and your business have automatically helped the environment.
Switching to a green web host is simple because it is all done online.
The best green web host that we know if is called GreenGeeks.
GreenGeeks Web Hosting
GreenGeeks hosts your website in an eco-friendly manner by buying renewable energy credits (wind energy specifically) to replace the energy used by their servers.
They buy back 3x the amount of energy they use which automatically makes your website carbon negative.
It only costs $2.95 per month and has dedicated specialists that will transfer your site for free.
As shown below, the company hosts over 600,000 websites and has won numerous awards.
GreenGeeks is offering a special discount through our site that you can access below.
Click on the link to get your discount and set up a free consultation with one of their specialist.
Get a free new domain and 60% off their web hosting with our Green Geeks special offer code. The discount is auto-applied.
2. Use Eco-Friendly Packaging
Environmentally friendly shipping is a large part of green ecommerce. Providing eco-friendly packaging is another way to limit your environmental impact.
There are some great videos on Youtube where business owners describe which materials they use to ship items in a more sustainable and eco-friendly manner.
As you can see, this business owner was able to find brands and companies that aligned with her values.
Every business owner will have to decide what works best for them based on their unique needs.
Analyzing the strategies that others use and going for “quick wins” like the options below could help.
Eco-Friendly Packaging - Quick Wins
1. Use Biodegradable Materials
Most packaging material (e.g., boxes, bubble-wrap, packing peanuts) is non-biodegradable. Instead of breaking down completely overtime, are thrown away and stay in the environment for hundreds of years.
For instance, it is estimated that Styrofoam takes up to 500 years to decompose.
Using biodegradable materials is much better for the environment and the quality is just as good!
2. Use Packaging Made From Recycled Materials
Using packaging, such as boxes, made from recycled material can also help the environment because new resources aren't used to make the items.
For example, boxes made from recycled materials are also available on Amazon.
3. Use Smaller Containers
If changing the types of materials is not possible, then being diligent about using smaller containers and less material in order to cut down on waste is a solution.
The goal of running a green ecommerce business is attainable.
An important starting point is figuring out the small tweaks and changes that you can make today.
- 4 Sustainable Online Businesses You Can Start Today - Have you ever wanted to start an eco-friendly online business? Here are 4 businesses you can start today on your laptop.
- 13 of the Best Eco-Friendly Dog Toys - Calling all dog lovers! Are you looking for eco-friendly dog toys for your best friend? Here are the best options available - all just one click away online!
- 5 Easy Tips to Help Keep the Environment Clean - Doing your part to help the environment doesn't have to be hard! Here are 5 easy steps that anyone can take to help keep the environment clean.
- 15 Examples of Corporate Social Responsibility - Find out what the best companies are doing to uphold their responsibility to society and the planet.
- How to Write an Environmental Policy in 20 Minutes - Over 1,000 organizations have used this easy step by step guide.