In this article, we take a close look at Bluehost and consider and compare the various plans they have on offer.
We also have a look at their customer service support, and explore the pros and cons of their service in an attempt to help you decide if this is the best hosting service for your website.
Recent Update: Bluehost is one of three web hosting companies that are officially endorsed by WordPress. In our recent analysis of Best WordPress Hosts, we ranked Bluehost #2.
Bluehost Review FAQ
Should you use Bluehost?
If functionality and top-rated hosting at reasonable prices is what you’re looking for, then Bluehost is for you. This is especially true if you plan to use WordPress for your website.
As one of only three hosting sites with an official recommendation from WordPress, it is definitely a frontrunner when choosing a shared hosting service.
What are the Pros & Cons of Bluehost?
Looking for a quality WordPress or Shared Hosting service? We recommend Bluehost.
Get a FREE Domain and SSL Certificate for $3.95/month.
What hosting plans and features does Bluehost offer?
Bluehost provides several options depending on budget and requirements. Options include WordPress hosting, VPS, cloud hosting, dedicated server hosting and more.
Below we briefly look at each of these:
- WordPress hosting – This package is completely optimized for WordPress and protects websites against common threats. When it comes to WordPress websites, Bluehost is a solid choice.
- Shared hosting – Shared hosting favours new websites who typically start with low traffic volumes. The resources are shared with other sites which makes the price favourable to freelancers, bloggers, start-ups etc. Again, Bluehost have a solid offer here.
- VPS – This is the upgrade to shared hosting which allows you to enjoy virtual dedicated hosting resources whilst still being hosted in a shared environment. Although Bluehost have a fairly good VPS offering, we think there are better options in the market.
- Cloud hosting – Also provides a useful alternative to shared hosting. Cloud hosting connects to multiple cloud servers which means it avoids the drawbacks of shared hosting by switching between servers during high traffic periods or hardware failures. Again, we aren't convinced that Bluehost have the best Cloud offering.
- Dedicated server hosting – This package dedicates all server resources to your website, it also means that you will have to manage the server by yourself as well. Like Cloud and VPS hosting, we think there are better options in the market for these services than Bluehost.
What is Bluehost's Customer Service like?
Bluehosts’ customer support centre caters to both tech savvy and novice website users. They offer 24/7 online chat, telephone and email support.
We found their support offering very fast and efficient. The combination of their support functions allow Bluehost customers to reach quick, hassle-free solutions.
Bluehost also provides plenty of how-to articles and videos on their website which are easily searchable.
Bluehost provides a variety of packages which suit different needs and different budgets. From WordPress, Cloud, dedicated, VPS or shared hosting, Bluehost has you covered with packages starting from as low as $2.95 per month.
Our view is that Bluehost performs really well in the WordPress and shared hosting space, and is therefore a great choice. But if you are looking for a solid VPS, Cloud or dedicated hosting service, you may be better served looking elsewhere.
From a WordPress perspective, Bluehost provides a rock-solid service to their clients, through combining great speed and uptime with great customer service.
Migration costs are however high and the the upsells for SSL, dedicated IP address and sitelock do add up.
Thus we recommend that you start your website with Bluehost, rather than migrating an existing website from a different service provider to Bluehost.