Working from home offers tons of sustainability benefits.
Not only does working from home give employees more flexibility and freedom, but it can also help them achieve their environmental goals.
Remote employees usually have smaller carbon footprints because they don't have to commute to and from the office. Fortunately, there are many more opportunities to reduce your impact on the environment while working from home.
Below are five working from home sustainability tips.
Working From Home - Sustainability Tips
1. Adjust Your Thermostat
Adjusting your thermostat 2 degrees up in the summer and 2 degrees down in the winter can save up to 2,000lbs of carbon dioxide per year!
Alternatively, you could use an energy efficient thermostat that conserves energy automatically.
For example, the Nest Thermostat programs itself to save energy. It learns the temperatures you like and create a schedule that saves electricity and money.
According to Nest, independent studies have proven that the Nest Learning Thermostat saved an average of 10% to 12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills!
2. Use Eco-Friendly Office Supplies
Did you know that the average office worker generates about 2 pounds of waste every day? Fortunately, today's products can help improve our efficiency.
The trick is to use office supplies that is either waste free or biodegradable.
For instance, using paperless notebooks is an option that our readers love.
Notebooks are often discarded and have pages that go unused. Furthermore, it can be hard to sort through your notes and find exactly what you need.
A lot of people have had success with the Rocketbook which is a wired notebook that is erasable and reusable.
It looks and feels like a regular notebook, but is an environmentally friendly alternative.
It can even store your notes in Google Drive, One Note and Drop Box.
Ready to try it for yourself?
Rocketbook is available on Amazon. There are a ton of success stories and it is one of our favorite products.
A good pen is essential for any office worker. However, throwing away plastic pens that aren't biodegradable can harm the environment.
Biodegradable pens made from recycled materials are a more sustainable choice.
3. Unplug Devices as Much as Possible
Electronic devices use energy when they are plugged in but aren't being used. Everything that is plugged in draws energy from the grid and puts unnecessary stress on the environment. This is often referred to as "Vampire Energy".
To improve sustainability while working from home, you can start by unplugging electronic devices that aren't in use. This could mean unplugging things like your cell phone, laptop, coffee machine, microwave or television when you aren't using them.
4. Decrease the Brightness on Your Computer Monitor
Reducing the brightness on your computer monitor can save up to 20% of the monitor's energy. Less energy equals less strain on the environment!
5. Consider Using Bamboo Office Products
It is important to use office products that will keep you comfortable, productive and organized. However, a lot of office supplies is made from plastic or other materials that can be harmful to the environment.
Using materials made from bamboo is significantly better for the environment. For example, bamboo decomposes more quickly then plastic yet it is just as sturdy.
Here are a few bamboo office products that we like.
Bamboo Pencil Holder
Keeps organized and never lose another pen or pencil.
Bamboo Book Stand
Eco-friendly option for books, tablets or papers.
Bamboo Monitor Stand
Simple design and dedicated space for all of your supplies.
- 4 Sustainable Online Businesses You Can Start Today - Have you ever wanted to start an eco-friendly online business? Here are 4 businesses you can start today on your laptop.
- 13 of the Best Eco-Friendly Dog Toys - Calling all dog lovers! Are you looking for eco-friendly dog toys for your best friend? Here are the best options available - all just one click away online!
- Environmental Impact of Styrofoam Cups - Learn how Styrofoam cups hurt the environment and what you can use instead.
- 5 Easy Tips to Help Keep the Environment Clean - Doing your part to help the environment doesn't have to be hard! Here are 5 easy steps that anyone can take to help keep the environment clean.
- 15 Examples of Corporate Social Responsibility - Find out what the best companies are doing to uphold their responsibility to society and the planet.
- How to Write an Environmental Policy in 20 Minutes - Over 1,000 organizations have used this easy step by step guide.
- The Best Green Web Hosting Companies - We compared the top five best green web hosts and the winner was clear.