It is important to know how to calculate your carbon footprint.
Here are 3 easy steps to help you calculate your carbon footprint in 10 minutes or less.
Follow these steps to get a consistent and reliable measure of your environmental impact.
We are also offering a special discount below to save money on eco-friendly products!
$$ SALE - Save Money on Eco-Friendly Products! $$
Do you want to save money on eco-friendly products? Take advantage of these special sales going on now!
All of these products are certified "Climate Pledge Friendly" and on sale now on Amazon. Limited time offer!
Step 1: Take Inventory
The first step is understanding your activities and belongings.
Take inventory of everything that you do and own. For example, an individual’s carbon footprint will likely include their home, vehicles, travel/transportation, meals, etc.
Similarly, a business carbon footprint will likely include their offices, warehouses, production line, supply chain, packaging, shipment/logistics processes, etc.
Step 2: Collect Numbers if Possible
You usually need a few data points to calculate your carbon footprint. They are generally easy numbers such as the square footage of your house or apartment, your utility bills, how many miles you drive, how many flights you take, etc.
For businesses, you usually include the square footage of your facilities, number of employees, annual revenue, number of vehicles, utility bills, air travel, etc.
It is ok to use estimates. However, precise numbers will generate a more accurate number.
Step 3: Use a Carbon Footprint Calculator
Finally, use a carbon footprint calculator to estimate your environmental impact. There are specific calculators for personal and business.
Personal Carbon Footprint Calculator
The best personal carbon footprint calculator we know of is the one on Conservation.Org. Their calculator is user friendly and has easy inputs.
If you are looking for a more detailed calculator, then EPA.gov is best as it requires you to put in precise costs regarding utility bills and specifics about your home and vehicles. It even offers quick tips on how to decrease your number!
Business Carbon Footprint Calculator
For businesses, we like to use the calculator on Berkeley.edu. It provides a quick and easy way to measure your organization’s footprint, including employees.
Carbon Footprint Definition
Carbon Footprint = greenhouse gas emissions caused by a person or organization.
A carbon footprint measures all key greenhouse gas emissions, including Carbon dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4), Nitrous oxide (N2O), Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), Perfluorocarbons (PFCs) and Sulphur hexafluoride (SF6).
We hope this article was useful in teaching you how to calculate your carbon footprint. Thank you for doing your part to help the planet!
- 5 Easy Tips to Help Keep the Environment Clean - Doing your part to help the environment doesn't have to be hard! Here are 5 easy steps that anyone can take to help keep the environment clean.
- 25 Go Green Ideas for the Office - Easy go green ideas that every office can use! Get actionable tips that you can implement today!
- 13 of the Best Eco-Friendly Dog Toys - Calling all dog lovers! Are you looking for eco-friendly dog toys for your best friend? Here are some of the best options available - all just one click away online!
- How to Write Environmental Policy in 20 Minutes or Less - Thousands of organizations have used this guide to create a professional environmental policy in 20 minutes or less!
- 15 Examples of Corporate Social Responsibility - Find out what the best companies are doing to uphold their responsibility to society and the planet.