Find the best green web hosting company for your website using our comparison table below.
- Did you know that the internet produces almost as much pollution as the airline industry?
- There are over 1 billion websites and they are all hosted on servers. Servers are powered by fossil fuels and consume tons of energy.
- You can help fix the problem by using a green web hosting company.
- Green web hosting companies purchase renewable energy credits to offset the energy used by your website, making your website carbon neutral or even carbon negative!
- If you use a green web hosting company then you have automatically helped the environment.
- GreenGeeks buys wind energy credits to replace the energy used by their servers.
- They buy back 3x the amount of energy consumed, automatically making your website carbon neutral or carbon negative.
- It only costs $2.95 per month and there are dedicated specialists that will create or transfer your website for free.
- Furthermore, they offer 24/7 customer support with a 99.9% guaranteed uptime.
Top 5 Best Green Web Hosting Companies
We reviewed 5 green web hosting companies to compare and contrast their eco-friendly attributes, pricing, and performance.
Below is a side-by-side comparison; the winner was clear.
$2.95 per month
Unlimited Bandwidth Unlimited Email Accounts
FREE Site Builder
24/7 Technical Support
$5.99 per month
FREE Domain Name
FREE Site Builder
FREE Site Migration
100% Powered By Renewable Energy
24/7 Technical Support
$2.59 per month
FREE Domain Name
$3.95 per month
FREE Domain Name
FREE Site Migration
FREE one-on-one training
100% Powered By Renewable Energy
$6.95 per month
FREE Domain Name
Best Overall Green Webhost
5/5 Overall Rating
GreenGeeks purchases wind energy credits to replace the energy they consume. They purchase 3x the amount of renewable energy used by their servers and put it back on the grid.
Using GreenGeeks automatically makes your website carbon neutral or carbon negative. They also plant a tree for every customer that signs up for their web hosting service.
The best part is they only cost $2.95 per month.
With GreenGeeks, your website is hosted in an environmentally friendly manner at an excellent price!
They make it easy to switch and will create or transfer your site for free with no hidden costs!
World's #1 Green Energy Web Hosting Provider
GreenGeeks claims to be the "world's #1 green web hosting provider". That is a big statement, but they back it up!
GreenGeeks' green story is truly inspiring and is one of the reasons we admire them. They offer a lot of value and have an extraordinary track record.
- GreenGeeks has been in business for 14 years and hosts over 600,000 websites. They have received multiple awards for the top web host and best green web host over the past few years.
- They are also an EPA Green Power Partner.
- They have a very affordable service compared to alternative suppliers – shared hosting starts at $2.95 per month with their special offer. That is an excellent price, especially when you consider that they are completely powered by renewable energy.
Free Offers and 24/7 Support
- If your website uses a different web hosting company then switching to GreenGeeks can be easy. GreenGeeks will migrate your site for free. They have dedicated site migration specialists who will take care of the transfer for you. They even offer a free no-obligation website transfer consultation to answer any questions that you have.
- Most importantly, they offer 24-hour support, 7 days a week, 365 days a year with a 99.9% uptime guarantee. This includes email support, live telephone, and live chat support.
- Their geographic coverage is superb. According to their website, they serve customers from over 150 countries.
- All their web hosting packages are comprehensive with unlimited web space, bandwidth, domains, email accounts and databases. They even offer a ton of professional badges to choose from.
- GreenGeeks doesn't require any technical knowledge. They offers a super easy 1-click WordPress install functionality and a user-friendly onboarding wizard!
- Finally, GreenGeeks has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Ready to get started with GreenGeeks? Claim Your Special Offer.
Take advantage of this special offer today.
Second Best Green Web Host
Kualo Green Hosting
4.5/5 Overall Rating
Socially Responsible and Reliable
Kualo is a close second. They are also powered by 100% renewable energy and are an EPA Green Power Partner. They have invested in energy-efficient servers and are very open about their environmentally friendly business policies (they are a completely paperless company and their employees are encouraged to work remotely to avoid unnecessary travel and commuting).
Transparent With a Strong Track Record
Everything you need to know about Kualo's Green Hosting can be found here. We love their transparency and commitment to the environment.
They also offer free site migration and go a step further by offering a 60-day money-back guarantee!
Kualo has a solid track record. They have been in business for over 15 years and host over 100,000 websites for customers in over 90 countries!
Additionally, they have green credentials that are simple and sleek.
A lot of Positives, But Slightly More Expensive
The reason we ranked them second is that they are slightly more expensive than GreenGeeks and do not offer as many unlimited features.
For instance, the $5.99 plan only offers one domain and 10 email accounts while GreenGeeks costs half as much and offers unlimited domains and unlimited email accounts.
Kualo also does not have as many awards for hosting as GreenGeeks does.
However, they have a reputation for offering extremely responsive support and have a robust customer service ticketing system which is an important aspect of hosting.
We also found it interesting that when comparing plans on Kualo's site you can toggle back and forth between currencies by using the drop-down tool in the upper right-hand corner. You can easily see USD, EUR, GBP, and AUD pricing which could be an interesting comparison tool for our international readers.
Commitment to Social Responsibility
One of the most amazing things about Kualo is that they have a free charity hosting program. They offer a free web hosting plan for charities registered in the United States! They do have eligibility requirements, but this is an amazing initiative that goes above and beyond.
If your website is a registered non-profit then it might make sense to get in touch with Kualo to discuss the program.
Overall Kualo could be a great choice for a green web host. Although they are a little more expensive, they offer a lot of some important features (free site migration, WordPress Hosting, 99.9% uptime guarantee) and are committed to hosting your site in an environmentally friendly manner!
Additional Good Green Hosts
Strategic Eco-Friendly Provider
We like DreamHost as they take a very holistic approach to provide a green web hosting service. DreamHost has analyzed and measured their impact on the environment, taking into account the energy it takes to power and cool their servers and the energy efficiency of their offices. They have even reviewed the impact of their staff's commute and adjusted their business policies accordingly.
DreamHost's website says that their servers are "powered by grids that obtain energy from renewable sources", although we did not find any additional information on this point.
Reasonably Priced, But Lacks Some Free Features
Although DreamHost is reasonably priced, the reason they are ranked third is that they do not offer a lot of free features.
It seems that they charge the customer extra money for additional features. For instance, for their plan that costs $2.59 per month, to add email you must pay $1.67 per month while the other providers listed above offer this for free. Additionally, they offer to migrate your site for you but it costs $99 while the other providers provide it for free.
However, Dreamhost does seem to be environmentally conscious so they are ranked third on our list of best green web hosting companies.
4/5 Overall Rating
The Original Green Pioneer
According to Hostpapa's website, they were one of the first web hosting companies to commit to going green. They purchase green energy certificates to offset the power their servers and offices use. Hostpapa also has green credentials and banners that you can place on your site to let others know that you are committed to going green.
The reason that Hostpapa comes in fourth is that although it is powered by green energy, it is slightly more expensive and offers less unlimited features. For instance, the plan that starts at $3.95 per month only offers two websites whereas other hosts, such as GreenGeeks, offer unlimited sites. Additionally, their green credentials and banners do not seem to be as clean and professional as GreenGeeks. They do offer value and are unique, but don't seem to rise to the high level of design and professionalism as GreenGeeks.
HostPapa vs. GreenGeeks Credentials
In our opinion, GreenGeeks' credentials on the right seem to carry more sophistication and style than HostPapa's, but each website owner will have to decide for themselves. Some people might like the HostPapa's homestyle feel.
However, Hostpapa does offer valuable features similar to other green web hosts such as free site migration, a website builder and 24/7 support, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. It is also worth noting that HostPapa claims to be America's #1 Web Host with over 500,000 websites hosted! This is an important figure as it shows the confidence that customers have in their service.
Their service consistently receives good customer reviews and their hosting has also won some awards as shown below.
Overall, HostPapa has proven itself to be a reliable green web host!
Fat Cow Hosting
3.5/5 Overall Rating
Straightforward Green Hosting
Fat Cow is the last green web host on our list. The company was originally founded in 1998, with the vision of providing an easy-to-understand, no-fluff, green web hosting service.
Similar to the companies above, Fat Cow purchases renewable energy credits (wind energy) to offset their energy use. They also encourage their employees to utilize environmentally friendly practices at work (e.g., responsible commuting and paperless offices).
However, they only provide surface-level information about these eco-friendly practices and do not attempt to back up their claims with data or specific information. For instance, Fat Cow does not describe how many credits they buy to offset their energy usage or where the credits are purchased from. Other options on our list provide a lot more information and transparency.
Nonetheless, Fat Cow is an experienced and reliable web host that offers all of the standard features that one would expect from a global hosting company.
What Is Green Web Hosting?
All websites are hosted on data servers owned by hosting companies.
In short, a website owner (i.e. you) pays a hosting company to host your website on a data server.
Data servers are huge energy consumers as they need lots of power to ensure 100% up-time and most importantly need to be kept cool at all times.
This means that most data servers are powered off the grid using the energy mix that goes into making up a region's energy supply – most energy mixes are predominately fueled by greenhouse gas-emitting fossil fuels. Exceptions would be France where most of the energy on the grid is generated through nuclear power.
The best green web hosting companies use energy off the grid to power their data servers and then purchase 100% renewable energy to put back onto the grid. They do this through purchasing Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) that certify energy as being generated using renewable sources.
In doing this green web hosting companies are effectively offsetting their energy consumption with 100% renewable energy, and in the long term are encouraging the adoption and economic scaling of renewables onto the energy market.
The benefit of green web hosting if you are environmentally conscious is significant as real savings in indirect carbon emissions are immediately made.
Moreover, the marketing kudos of being able to confidently say that you power your website through renewable energy hosting is great, especially if you are a green business.
How To Switch To A Green Web Host
If you already have a hosting package, then switching to green web hosting is a recommended green initiative as it is a relatively simple and cost way to go green.
Here are the 5 helpful steps. Please note that some green web hosts, such as GreenGeeks, will transfer your website for free. It might be useful to check and see if your preferred new host offers any transfer services.
- Decide on your preferred new host and join their service. Do not cancel with your existing provider and do not tell them about your intentions to switch as they can prematurely terminate your site which would result in downtime.
- You will now have two hosting accounts – a new one and an old one. The task here is slightly technical but your IT support should easily be able to do this. You need to migrate your entire site from the old host to the new one. This is done by downloading all your files via FTP on your old host and uploading via FTP to your new host – maintaining the file and folder structure.
- Backup your databases on your old host and upload via FTP to your new host.
- You now have all your files on both hosting providers. The task now is to change the domain name DNS settings. Your new host will provide you with the DNS settings and all you need to do is tell the company where your domain name is registered to change to the settings provided by your new hosting company.
- The change takes 48 hours. During this time your site will be loading randomly from your old and new hosting provider. After 48 hours your site will be loading exclusively from your new provider
- Call your old host and cancel your service.
- You are now fully hosted with a green web hosting company.
We highly recommend reviewing all of your options, contacting the relevant web hosting help departments and potentially consulting an expert, if necessary, to assist in making the switch if you are not comfortable with the steps above.
Tags: Best Green Web Hosting, Green Hosting, Green Web Hosting, Green Web Hosting Companies, Green Web Hosting Reviews, GreenGeeks, Hosting Impacts on Environment