Top 5 ways to save energy in your business
1. Replace all halogen 50W bulbs with 35W alternatives and de-lamp areas that are over-lit.
2. Powerflush your heating system at least one a year to remove sludge and limescale in your radiators and thereby improve efficiency. Related to this I have also seen great results from vacuum cleaning ceiling-mounted AC units to clean the filters. I recommend doing this once every three months.
3. If you operate a building management system then I would encourage you to conduct weekly tests to see which settings are optimal in terms of energy usage. You can track variations in your system setup by logging meter consumption on a week-by-week basis. Small tweaks here and there can save loads of energy.
4. Upgrade old plant equipment such as motors with variable speed drives and old boilers with a modern condensing alternative. If you have a three-phase supply you may want to consider voltage optimisation – its expensive but can pay back quickly.
5. Finally, engage people in the organisation to help in your energy reduction commitment. Getting people to shut-down / turn-off small appliances and electronics when not is use can save a significant amount over the year. Alternatively you may want to consider automatic shut-down software to turn off computers and printers in the evening.
Best of luck with your energy saving exploits!